Travelling can be fun and hectic at the same time. You might also need an internet connection depending on your circumstances. There are a lot of people who work while they are on the move. Such people may have to take a wireless router with them. You might wonder, what is the best travel router? Travel routers are designed to be portable and convenient for someone on the move. They ensure you can conveniently create a connection between your devices and provide a gateway to the internet wherever you are, so long as you ISP has a signal there.
There are many types of wireless travel routers in the market. Finding the best wireless travel routers among the many types might not be very straightforward. Many people do not know the technical aspects of routers. They would not know what makes up a great wireless travel router. You should not worry though! We took time to compile one of the best wireless travel router reviews. The review will highlight the respective features of the traveling routers, as well as their pros and cons. The review aims to ensure you make an informed choice next time you go shopping for a wireless travel router.
Best Wireless Travel Routers 2019
- iNet GL-B1300 Gigabit Router – this is a dual-band router with a speed of 1300 Mbps
- HooToo Wireless Travel Router – this is a single band battery powered wireless router with a speed of 300 Mbps
- iNet GL-AR300M Mini Travel Router – this is an open source ready and programmable wireless router with dual ethernet ports.
- RAVPower FileHub Plus – this is a single band router with wireless USB sharing.
- TP-Link N300 TL-WR802N Wireless Travel Router – this is a single band battery powered wireless router with a speed of 300 Mbps
- TRENDnet AC750 Wireless Travel Router – this is a dual-band router with a speed of 750 Mbps
- TP-LINK TL-MR3040 Portable Router – this is a small battery powered wireless travel router with a speed of up to 150Mbps
- URANT Wireless Router – this is a single band wireless router with a speed of 300 Mbps. It has two high-gain antennas
- HooToo TripMate Wireless Travel Router – this is a small 1ounce heavy wireless router with a 1GB RAM.
Even while on the move, you still need a powerful router that can adequately cater for your connection needs. The GL.iNet GL-B1300 gigabit router will not disappoint. It is designed to be compact and portable. The router has a myriad of impressive features that give all indications of robust and reliable performance. Check out its features below.
- It is a dual-band router with a speed of 1300 Mbps
- The router is open source ready and programmable
- The router features storage of 256MB RAM / 32MB FLASH ROM
- It has three gigabit ethernet ports
- It features OpenVPN throughput
- The router delivers an impressive speed
- The ethernet ports are great for wired connections
- The router comes with Open-WRT firmware already installed
- It comes at a pocket-friendly price
- The OpenVPN throughput slows down the router
The GL.iNet GL-B1300 wireless travel router, working at full potential, would easily out-perform many other large routers. Its features are quite impressive. Going for $89 on Amazon, it is quite the bargain. You will certainly enjoy a robust network with the GL.iNet GL-B1300 gigabit router. It is a great portable wifi router.
The HooToo Wireless Travel Router, as the name suggests, is designed specifically to be a travel router. The router has a small and compact design, and it is powered by a small external battery. The single-band router all the basic features and deliverables of an effective wireless router.
- It has speeds of up to 300 Mbps
- It is powered by a 10400 mAh battery
- It features wireless USB sharing
- It is a single-band router
- The router has speeds that are good enough for live streaming
- The battery doubles up as a power band
- The wireless sharing is very convenient
- It router is quite easy to configure
- The router is not VPN compatible
- It does not have LAN ethernet ports
The HooToo Wireless Travel Router is great and pocket-friendly wireless travel router. It has a few misgivings, but they do not affect the fact that it is one of the best travel routers. The router will offer you are great connection experience. It is one of the best travel wifi routers.
We have yet another incredible offering from GL.iNet, the GL.iNet GL-AR300M. GL.iNet have put themselves a step forward by producing some of the most effective mini routers. The GL.iNet GL-AR300M is a single-band high-performance router that is ideal for traveling. It has all the essential features and deliverables of an effective wireless router.
- The router is 3G/4G USB Modem Compatible
- The router is open-source ready and programmable
- It features a memory of 128MB RAM, 16MB NOR Flash + 128M NAND Dual flash
- The router has dual ethernet ports
- The router has an impressive 300Mbps speed
- It comes with the Open-WRT firmware already installed
- The ethernet ports are very convenient for wired connections
- It can be conveniently powered by a 5V DC adapters
- Setting up the router might be a little bit of a challenge
The GL.iNet GL-AR300M does not fall short of much as far as a great travel router is concerned. The router could be upgraded with the DD-WRT firmware to unlock its full potential. The GL.iNet GL-AR300M travel router working at full potential would be quite impressive.
The RAVPower FileHub Plus is a miniature single-band wireless travel router with some impressive features. The miniature looks should not fool you into brushing it off. It is a very effective router. The router is powered by an external battery. It can also be powered by any 5V DC adapter. Check out its features below.
- The router has wireless USB sharing
- It is powered by a 6000 mAH battery
- It comes with one WAN ethernet port
- It is a single band router
- The battery can double up as a power bank
- The wireless USB sharing is very convenient
- The router delivers good connection speeds
- The router is small and easily portable
- It is not VPN compatible
- It is not compatible with Apple devices
The RAVPower FileHub Plus seems-like moderate performance router. The router is great for sharing files among devices. It delivers impressive connection speeds too. It may not be the best wireless travel router, but you will certainly love having this router around.
The TP-Link N300 TL-WR802N is an incredible wireless travel router from TP-Link. TP-LINK is one of the biggest brands of routers. The TP-Link N300 TL-WR802N wireless router is a single band wireless router that with impressive deliverables. The router is quite affordable too. It is a great option for anyone who is on a compressed budget.
- The router delivers a speed of 300Mbps
- It is compatible with Chrome cast
- The router has AP, Client, Repeater and WISP operation modes
- It features a Micro-USB port for powering
- The router has a compact and portable design
- It delivers impressive connections speeds
- It is quite easy to set up
- It can be easily powered by a 5V DC adapter
- It is not VPN compatible
The TP-Link N300 TL-WR802N may not the ultimate wireless travel router, but it is quite impressive. It has its shortcomings, but the pros far outweigh the cons. The router is offered for $30 on Amazon. Comparing that with its features and deliverables, the router seems like a perfect bargain.
The TRENDnet AC750 is an incredible high-performance router. The dual-band router is a great resource for multiple users. The router features WISP, AP, and Repeater modes. It has quite impressive deliverables. It is without a doubt one of the best wireless travel routers in the review. Check out some of its impressive features below.
- The router delivers speeds of up to 750 Mbps
- It comes with pre-encrypted security protocols
- It features one USB 2.0 port
- The router is IPv6 compatible
- The router has impressive speeds
- It comes with ethernet ports for conventional wired connections
- The router has very robust security protocols
- It features the Beamforming technology that allows maximum coverage
- The router is not VPN compatible
- Configuring the router might be a little bit of a bother
The TRENDnet AC750 Wireless Travel Router delivers one of the best performances you will get from a wireless travel router. The router has fast connection speeds, it can accommodate several devices, and it is durable. That seems like almost everything you would expect from a wireless travel router. It is one of the top-rated travel wireless routers.
We have yet another incredible offering from TP-Link, the TP-LINK TL-MR3040. The TP-LINK TL-MR3040 delivers a top-notch performance. It is one of the best travel routers in the review. The single-band wireless router also has a small and compact design that makes it convenient to carry around. Some of its other features are listed below.
- The router has AP, WISP, and Router Modes
- It delivers a speed of up to 150Mbps
- It is powered by an internal 2000mAH battery
- It has 4-hour battery life
- The wireless router is very convenient to carry around
- It delivers impressive connection speeds
- It has a LAN port for convenient wired connection
- The is quite easy to configure
- The router has a rather short battery life
The TP-LINK TL-MR3040 wireless travel router may not be the best concerning speed and coverage, but the convenience that comes with it is almost unrivaled. It has no set-up or connection hassles, and its size makes it easy to carry in your pocket. It does have a few misgivings, but it is an impressive wireless travel router. It is a great portable wifi router for travel.
The URANT Wireless Router is yet another phenomenal travel router. The router comes in a wall-plug design and has high-gain antennas for maximum coverage. The router features WPS security technology to ensure that your network cannot get infiltrated. It comes with an array of other impressive features too. Some of them are listed below.
- The router feature AP, Repeater, and router modes
- It delivers speeds of up to 300Mbps
- It has one gigabit ethernet port
- The router comes with two high-gain antennas
- The router delivers impressive connection speeds
- The antennas ensure maximum coverage
- The Ethernet port is great for fast wired connection
- The router has robust security protocols
- You must find somewhere to plug in the router. You can use it where there is not socket
The URANT Wireless Router does not lack much as far as a great travel router is concerned. You may not be able to use it while on the move if you can’t get a socket though. Overall, it is one of the best-performing wireless travel routers in the review. You should see its reviews on Amazon. They are quite impressive too.
Lastly, we review yet another HooToo Wireless Travel Router. This is a high-performance travel router with some impressive features. The router looks miniature, but it delivers one of the best performances you can get from a router of its caliber. The router allows endless media streaming while you are on the move. Check out its other features below.
- The router has an ethernet WAN port
- It features a 1GB RAM
- The router weighs 1 ounce
- It has a PC USB port
- The router can be powered by any 5V adapter
- The router is quite convenient to carry around
- It is quite easy to set up
- It delivers an impressive connection speed
- The WAN port can only be used for input
- The router is not VPN compatible
The HooToo TripMate Wireless Travel Router is a small and compact pocket router. It is a great option for anyone on the move. It is quite affordable too. It is one of the best cheap wireless travel routers. It may not be the best wireless travel router, but it will certainly go a long way in ensuring you are connected to the internet at all times while traveling.
Best Wireless Travel Routers 2019 – Buyer’s Guide
The reviews above are meant to give you a better picture of what a great wireless travel router is supposed to be. The reviews have not been conclusive about which router is the best though. All the routers above are best suited for people In different situations. The best wireless travel router for you may not be the best for the nest person. Before you settle on any of the routers above, you need to consider a few common factors. The factors include;
The speed of the router is one of the most crucial considerations. Everyone loves fast connection speeds. The routers above offer different speeds. It is always prudent to go for the router with the fastest connection speed if you can afford it. Faster connection speeds with allow you to live stream videos without interruptions.
Many wireless travel routers can either be a single or dual band. You choose the band depending on the gadgets you have. Many modern devices operate on the 2.4GHz. All the single band routers operate in this band. Dual-band routers have the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band. If you have 5GHz devices, going for a dual-band router is your best bet. The dual-band routers ensure the connection speed is not affected even with more devices on the network.
The cost of the routers above is the ultimate determinant of the router you are going to get. Take time to explore the various routers that are within your price range and find out which one delivers the most value for you. Always go for the best quality router that you can afford. Do not compromise on the quality of the router just to save a few bucks.
The reviews and buying guide above should help you to narrow down your best suited wireless travel router. Shopping for the best wireless travel router should not feel like such a daunting task. It should be fun. You should be able to get the best wireless travel router for the money you have.