Many manufacturers make wireless routers with the average non-technical user in mind. The user may never know, but they can never utilize the full potential of such a router. The DD-WRT is a Linux-based firmware for specific router models, that is designed to unlock the full potential of a router. The firmware lifts all the restriction of the default firmware, providing you with unlimited options. The best DD-WRT router is a powerful and multi-purpose router. The possibilities with it are endless. You get enhanced connection speeds, and you can be able to encrypt your whole network, any many more features.
There are many types of DD-WRT routers in the market. It would be difficult for even the average router-user to know what to look for in a great DD-WRT router. Shopping for the best DD-WRT router might end up feeling like such a daunting task. Many people do not have the technical know-how concerning routers. You might have been wondering, what is the best dd-wrt router? We took time to compile one of the best wireless router reviews. This is a review of various DD-WRT routers that we established are great. The router will highlight the respective features of the routers as well as their pros and cons. The aim is to enable you to make an informed choice next time you go looking for DD-WRT router. First, below is a quick snippet of the various routers featured in the review.
Best DD WRT Router 2019
- NETGEAR R7000-100PAS Nighthawk AC1900 WIFI Router – this router has a has a speed of up to 1900 Mbps (600+1300)
- ASUS AC5300 WIFI Router – this router has eight external antennas and the MU-MIMO technology
- NETGEAR R7800-100NAS Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WIFI Router – this router has eight external antennas and the MU-MIMO technology
- Linksys WRT AC1200 Wireless Router – this router has two adjustable detachable high-powered antennas
- Linksys WRT AC3200 Wireless Router – this router has 256MB Flash and 512MB of RAM Memory and the MU-MIMO technology
- TRENDnet AC1900 Wireless Router– this router has High-speed USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 share ports and high-power amplifiers
- ASUS AC3100 WIFI Router – the MU-MIMO technology and four high-powered antennas
- iNet GL-MT300N-V2 Mini Travel Router – this is a small travel router. It delivers a speed of up to 300 Mbps.
- Buffalo AirStation N300 Wireless Router – this is a single band wireless router with speeds of up to 300 Mbps.
- Linksys AC5400 Tri-Band Wireless Router – this is a tri-band router with speeds of up to 5400 Mbps.
NETGEAR is known for producing some of the best wireless routers in use today. The NETGEAR R7000-100PAS is one of their DD-WRT compatible routers. This router has an impressive connection speed. When fully unlocked by the DD-WRT firmware, you’d have an extremely blissful experience with it.
- The dual-band router has a speed of up to 1900 Mbps (600+1300)
- It has three high-powered antennas
- The router has a 1GHz Dual Core Processor
- The router features the Beamforming technology
- The Beamforming technology enhances coverage
- The 1GHz Dual Core Processor ensures optimum performance
- The router delivers impressive speeds
- It is quite easy to install
- You need to keep upgrading the firmware
The NETGEAR R7000-100PAS Nighthawk AC1900 is a great router even before including the DD-WRT firmware. When the firmware is added to it, you will certainly have one of the best experiences you can get from any router.
The ASUS AC5300 is an incredible wireless router from Asus. This thing is a beast. It packs some of the most impressive connections speeds and has very wide coverage. Adding DD-WRT firmware to this tri-band router will make it a monster of a router. Check out its features below.
- The router has speeds of up to 5334 Mbps
- It has a coverage of up to 5000 sq. feet
- The router has eight external antennas and the MU-MIMO technology
- The router features built-in USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports
- The router delivers incredible speeds
- It has a wide coverage
- The MU-MIMO allows multiple connections each with a dedicated speed
- The router has a robust security system form Trend Micro
- Installing the router might be a headache
Routers under $300 do not get better than the ASUS AC5300. Adding the DD-WRT firmware to this router unlocks the full speeds and coverage. The ASUS AC5300 is without a doubt one of the best DD-WRT compatible routers you can get. It is the best dd-wrt router for gaming.
The NETGEAR R7800-100NAS Nighthawk X4S AC2600 is yet another phenomenal wireless router from NETGEAR. Typical of NETGEAR routers, it features a high-top speed and a wide coverage area. Adding the DD-WRT firmware to this router would make it arguably the best router you’ve ever had.
- The dual-band router has top speeds of up to 2600Mbps (800+1800)
- The router features the multi-user MIMO technology
- The router has a 1.7GHz dual-core processor
- The router is equipped with superfast twin USB 3.0
- The dual-core processor enhances performance
- The USB access allows easy firmware upgrade and data download
- The router has impressive speeds
- The four high-powered antennas ensure maximum coverage
- Guest networks are wide open at L2. They are not isolated. That’s a security loophole
The NETGEAR R7800-100NAS Nighthawk X4S AC2600 has a price tag of under $200. Comparing that price and the features on this router, it seems like the ultimate bargain. Upgrading this router with the DD-WRT firmware would be the best thing you gave yourself all year.
Linksys is proud to the manufacturer of the most used routers around the world. The wouldn’t be left behind the anywhere top-rated router are being mentioned. The Linksys WRT AC1200 is their masterpiece of a DD-WRT compatible router.
- The router delivers a speed of up to 1200 Mbps
- It has a 1.3GHz dual-core CPU
- It has two adjustable detachable high-powered antennas
- The router has Four gigabit ports
- The router has impressive speeds
- The 1.3GHz dual-core CPU enhances performance
- The router has Beamforming technology that ensures maximum coverage
- The four gigabit ports allow high-speed cable connections
- Installing the router might be a little bit of a headache
The Linksys WRT AC1200 under normal circumstances would still be a great router. Going for just a little bit over 100 dollars, it would be quite the bargain too. Adding the DD-WRT into the equation changes all the dynamics. You get to enjoy the full potential of the router. Despite it not having the fastest speeds or the widest coverage, you will experience a performance many people don’t get to experience.
The Linksys WRT AC3200 is an improved version of its sibling above. The two routers are almost identical, only that the Linksys WRT AC3200 has almost thrice the speed of the Linksys WRT AC1200. Check more of its features below.
- The router features the Tri-Stream 160 technology
- It has speeds of up to 3200 Mbps
- The router has the MU-MIMO technology
- The router has 256MB Flash and 512MB of RAM Memory
- The router delivers very impressive speeds
- It has a wide coverage
- The MU-MIMO technology allows multiple connections, each with a dedicated speed level
- The Tri-Stream 160 technology doubles the bandwidth and hence faster speeds
- Setting up the router might not be a breeze
The Linksys WRT AC3200 is an open-source ready wireless router. You can put up any firmware upgrade in it. Adding the DD-WRT firmware to this router would make it an incredible workhorse. Unlocking the top speeds and coverage of this router would be amazing.
The TRENDnet AC1900 has some very impressive features for a router going for $70. Other routers of the same price range are nothing like the TRENDnet AC1900. DD-WRT firmware would make router one of the best performing router. It would be difficult to get such a performance anywhere else for $70. Check out its features below. It is the best dd-wrt router under $100.
- The router has top speeds of 1900Mbps
- The router has High-speed USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 share ports
- It comes with All Gigabit wired ports
- It is fitted with High power amplifiers
- The router has impressive speeds
- It comes at a pocket-friendly price
- The high-power amplifiers ensure maximum coverage
- The USB ports are great for sharing and firmware upgrades
- Configuring the router might be a challenge
The TRENDnet AC1900 is an amazing bargain for less than $100, even without an upgrade. Upgrading with the DD-WRT firmware will give you the best and cheapest router you ever had. Low price routers do not get better than the TRENDnet AC1900. It is an incredible and cheap dd-wrt router.
ASUS has managed to carve out quite a name for itself in the networking industry. The ASUS AC3100 wireless router in an incredible open-source ready router. The router has incredible speed and coverage. It has a myriad of other impressive features. Some of the features are listed below.
- The dual-band router delivers speeds of up to 3100Mbps (1000+2100)
- The router has eight Gigabit Ethernet ports
- It has a 1.4 GHz dual-core processor
- The router has the MU-MIMO technology and four high-powered antennas
- The router delivers an impressive range
- The high-powered antennas ensure maximum coverage
- The 1.4 GHz dual-core processor ensures optimal performance
- The ethernet ports are convenient for super-fast cable connections
- You have to update the firmware frequently
The ASUS AC3100 wireless router lives up to the good name of ASUS routers. It comes with some of the most impressive features and deliverables you can find on a router. It would be incredible to have the DD-WRT firmware unlock the full potential of this router for you. It is the best WIFI router for long range.
The GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 Mini Travel Router might look miniature, but it is a very impressive router. It is a great mini router that you can travel around with. This better-powered router offers a lot of conveniences and a very impressive performance. Check out its features below.
- The router has speeds of up to 300Mbps
- The router is 3G/4G USB Modem Compatible
- The router has 128MB RAM, 16MB Flash ROM
- It has two ethernet ports
- The router can conveniently power by a laptop or power bank
- The Ethernet ports are convenient for fast cable connections
- The router is open source ready and programmable
- Its small size makes it conveniently portable
- The router does not offer much speed
The speeds on this router may be on the lower end, but they are good enough for video streaming. The router has many of the other basic features of an effective wireless router. Unlocking its full potential with the DD-WRT firmware would give you a great experience while on the go. It is the best cheap dd-wrt router.
The Buffalo AirStation N300 is yet another incredible wireless router. It is a low-end single-band wireless router, that is ideal for light home use. Make no mistake though. Once the full potential of this wireless router is reached through the DD-WRT firmware, you will certainly have a blissful surfing experience.
- The router has a top speed of up to 300Mbps
- The router 4 RJ-45 ethernet ports
- The router comes with the DD-WRT firmware already pre-installed
- The router features multi-level wireless encryption
- The router has robust security systems
- The ethernet ports are convenient for fast cable connections
- It delivers an impressive coverage
- The wireless router is quite simple to install
- The router does not offer much speed
The Buffalo AirStation N300 wireless router is a great budget option. You will get an impressive performance with this router when it has been upgraded with the DD-WRT than you will get with higher caliber unlocked routers. It is the best dd-wrt router under $50.
Lastly, we review the Linksys AC5400 wireless router from Linksys. This tri-band router delivers impressive speed and wide coverage. Upgrading it with the DD-WRT firmware will turn it into an incredible workhorse. This is the kind of router you need for your office that has huge loads of connections.
- The router delivers speeds of up to 5400 Mbps
- The router has 8 Gigabit ports for wired speeds
- The router features WPA/WPA2 encryption security systems
- The router has eight high-powered antennas
- The router has very impressive speeds
- The tri-bands allows you to allocate a dedicated band for some devices
- The antennas allow wide coverage
- The router has a very robust security system
- Setting up the router might be a headache
The Linksys AC5400 Tri-band router is a top of the range. It comes with some of the most impressive features you will find on a wireless router. DD-WRT firmware will unlock for you the full potential of this router, and you’ll possibly never want another router.
Best DD WRT Router 2019 – Buyer’s Guide
The reviews above should help you better understand what a great DD-WRT Router entails. Before you narrow down to any of the routers above, you need to consider a few factors. The factors include;
Everyone wants a fast router. The speeds of the routers above differ. DD-WRT does not increase the speed of the router. It ensures it delivers the optimum speeds. It is therefore prudent that you get the router with a higher speed rating.
A range is yet another very important aspect of a wireless router. A range is a measure of the maximum distance the router can broadcast the signal. You need a router that can comfortably the broadcast WIFI signal over a wide space. Just like the speed, the DD-WRT does not increase the range of the router. It ensures it reaches the maximum range possible.
The cost of the routers above is the ultimate determinant of the router you are going to get. Take time to explore the various routers that are within your budget and find out which one delivers the most value. You should be able to get the best DD-WRT Router for the money you have.
The reviews and buying guide above should help you narrow down to your best suited DD-WRT Router. Shopping for the best should never feel like a daunting again. Get one of this routers and ensure you never experience any downtime with your connections ever again.